This past weekend saw a number of local events happening in our LGA, council provided a free open air cinema at Woolway Park and there were Carols by candlelight in a couple of locations, none of which I was able to attend due to another commitment. I’m sure I’m not the only one who has this happen at this time of year, a constant juggle to attempt to fit in everything you’d like to do with the reality of what time really allows for.
(If by chance you did attend and would like to let everyone know how the events went…I’m more than happy to publish your view here just leave a comment )
That being the case one might feel disappointed and to a point I was, but spending the time with dynamic and informed people makes up by a LONG way.
Some of you who have been reading this blog for some time will know not only that I’m a member of the NSW Greens but why I joined. Some years in, one would perhaps consider my interest waning however the fact that decisions brought forward by our Members of Parliament come directly from the membership inspires me like little else.
We have an amazing and talented local group and to take their ideas and thoughts to our regular delegates council is an absolute pleasure, once there all the decisions for the Greens are discussed and debated… thoughtful, considered and varied…from this our elected representatives deliver our message through the Parliament.
It is not until you really embrace what the NSW Greens stand for that you can really appreciate the amount of volunteer activism, passion and diversity that guides our party. It’s not until you see this that you wonder why in heavens name not everyone wants to be part of the decision making of their party, not dictated to from faceless men but intricately involved in the development of policy… guiding the direction the party takes and standing up with principled and passionate others who share a common goal… to protect and care for our community and our environment.
Did you know there are 4 core principles that guide our party?
A couple of things to remember:
1) Next council meeting (last for 2012) is next Wednesday the 19th December.
2) The Greens will again have a team in the Relay for Life event in 2013 on the 23/24th March… we challenge other political or social groups to enter a team and support this very worthy Community event. Please note the dates in your diary.
3) Our Local Greens meet on the 3rd Wednesday of every month and welcome visitors and often have some very interesting guests…no one will try to have you join but you will be heard.
4) Comments have been called for in last week’s papers to the changes in the Meetings and speakers forums – pls check the papers and lodge your views.
5) Comments are always welcome on this blog, they will be shown as given and your email won’t be shared. I do publish both complimentary and not so complimentary comments in the view that all opinions are valuable. (only Profanity and defamatory remarks will be edited as a courtesy to my readers.)
6) Last night I took a drive around the Local area to show my grandson some of the amazing light shows that residents have prepared. Whilst there aren’t as many as in the past there are some truly amazing ones to be found and of course I made sure he saw the Council Christmas Tree in the Macquarie Street Mall… if you’ve not had a look, please do and take the kids… there’s something special about seeing the magic of Christmas through their eyes.